Monday, February 14, 2011

Love and the Placebo Effect, Teaser #1

Botticelli's Birth of Venus. Venus being the goddess of love,
I thought this was appropriate for Valentine's Day.
Since today is Valentine's Day, and lately I have been trying my hand at writing a love story/smutty romance novel, I thought I might share a teaser. No, this is not the "love" scene, if I put that on here I would have to flag my blog for adult content, and I'd rather not do that. The story is called, "Love and the Placebo Effect," set to hit the shelves of your local bookstore in 20XX, so keep your eyes open for it. Actually, I would estimate I'm about a third of the way into my first draft, so who knows if this scene will even make the final cut, but here it is anyway. To put it into context, our heroine Jane is bringing her new man Adrian to dinner at her best friend's house for the first time. Jane is single, however her friend is married with two very curious children, and like any kid, they say exactly what is on their minds.


Ding-Doooong.

Jane chuckled, hearing the customary scamper of little feet as once again Evie and E.J. vied for door answering privileges. This time, Evie emerged victorious.

“Aunt Janey!” she exclaimed. Then, visibly retreating into herself, Evie asked, “Who’s that man?”

“Uh… this is my friend, Adrian,” Jane said to her wide-eyed niece, who eyed the big man suspiciously.

“Is he your boyfriend? Do you kiss him?” asked E.J., pushing past his sister.

Jane turned the color of a strawberry, exclaiming, “No! I just… I mean…” Jane stuttered, trying to come up with an answer for the inquisitive 8-year-old. The kids backed away from the door and let them in, Jane at a loss for words.

“Well, I heard Mommy talking to Daddy, and she said that you were kissing some man. Are you sure he’s not your boyfriend?” E.J. accused. Jane heard Adrian snort, trying to keep from laughing. She was mortified.

Coming to her rescue, but not before taking a moment to thoroughly enjoy Jane’s discomfiture, Adrian intervened. Reaching out to shake E.J.’s hand, he asked, “How do you do E.J.? My name is Adrian. Your Aunt Jane and I work together. I happen to know that before I could be your Aunt Jane’s boyfriend, I would need to ask your permission, and since I haven’t done that yet, I can’t be her boyfriend.” Jane didn’t miss the ‘yet,’ but was not in a state to think about the ramifications of his wording.

E.J. thought it over for a moment, considering. “Ok, I believe you. But what about the kissing?” he asked, fixing Adrian with a measuring look.

“Guilty as charged. But you can’t blame me, your Aunt Jane is so pretty, I couldn’t help myself,” he said, keeping a straight face and looking E.J. in the eye. Jane felt a little flutter in her heart, He thinks I’m pretty.

“Well, I guess that’s ok. Aunt Jane, did you bring me a present?” in typical child fashion, once his curiosity was satisfied, E.J. moved on to the next item of interest, much to Aunt Janey’s relief.

I hope you enjoyed this segment. If there is any interest, I may post more at a later date. Feel free to give feedback.

3 comments:

  1. Hi C.C.,

    Do you mind if I call you C.C.? I noticed you over at C.'s place and thought I'd wander over.

    First, off. Good on you for putting your writing out there. It takes a brave soul and I admire your cajones. Secondly, nice job! You've clearly got an understanding of children and their suspicious nature. Yes, please, I'd like to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, MacDougal. I appreciate the feedback, and thanks for checking out my blog! I think C. and I have similar interests, although I admit I'm not much of a painter (see previous post To Paint or Not to Paint). Anyhow, I appreciate the encouragement and I promise to post more in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice. Looking forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete