Thursday, March 17, 2011

The Next BIG Project

These two little monkeys have broken into my sewing room
a few times and made my mess even bigger. (Katie, Claire)
I have a mental list of craft and sewing projects I plan to complete soon (soon being a relative term meaning anywhere from in the next 5 minutes to the next 5 years), including a hinged cardboard doll house, several scrapbook pages, princess dresses for the girls, a giant cardboard suit of armor cutout... I could go on, but you get the point. However, I currently have a big obstacle. One look in my sewing room and the problem will become obvious: organization (or lack there-of), a situation which is greatly contributing to my procrastination problem.

I have recently inherited a great fortune of art supplies from my grandma, my great aunt, my husband's grandmother, and the neighbor across the street, and I still have several boxes of fabric, doll house furniture, and other odds and ends at my mom's house. In addition to the mess in my sewing room, I have bags and boxes in the hallway just waiting to be opened and sorted. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE having so many supplies to work with and having a dedicated craft room in which to work (two things I didn't have when I was in art school). However, I need to spend some time cleaning and organizing said craft room. I'd say about two hours at most should see the job done.

Next question: where am I going to find two hours? This isn't really a BIG project, per se, but it is a project that I have to do by myself (I can see so many different ways disaster could hit if the kids help... visions of my paper cutter becoming a finger guillotine or one of the kids discovering that the sewing machine can poke holes in fingers as well as paper or whatever else they have run through it prompt me to make that a "kid-free" zone). I suppose this is another thing to put on the list of "To Do During Nap Time," along most everything else I would like to get done around here. Soon, I tell myself. Soon they will be old enough that they no longer require constant supervision and Mommy will be able to spend a few minutes scrubbing the toilet without fear that they will discover how pouring the water from their cups on the back of it can make the TV turn off... I'm just hoping that this "soon" is closer to the 5 minute kind, and not the 5 year variety...

The site of my last project, paint brushes, glue, nail polish,
scissors, bits of cardboard, etc. are strewn around, the mess
enhanced by my little princesses.

My poor, naked dress form, waiting forlornly in the corner
for the next sewing project.

My shelves and drawers are stacked high with items hastily
thrown into the room in the millisecond between the time
I open the door and the babies follow me in.

I have to say, it's an impressive mess. I can't wait to clean it up, it will be like discovering buried treasure!

2 comments:

  1. Totally feeling your pain. I think one day we may miss the little rug rats!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They definitely say and do some adorable things. I'm sure I will miss having cuddly babies around when they are teenagers and don't want to be in the same room as me, lol. It would be nice, though, to have a nanny for a few hours a week, though! :)

    ReplyDelete