Thursday, March 3, 2011

Write a Novel: Check

My best friend. Okay, that may be an exaggeration, but
my little red Gateway has sure made this writing thing
a little easier.
For the last few weeks (since about the time I started this blog) I have been laboring away (read: enjoying the crap out of) writing my very first novel. This is not the next Great American Novel, I have no illusions, but it is a fun little love story with some steamy scenes. And I would like to report (brag) that today I wrote the Epilogue. And, no, I don't mean I just skipped to the end, I really and truly finished the story!!! I am so excited, I think I'll read a book to celebrate. The next step: editing (groan). I have a storyline or two that have fizzled out and need to be changed, plenty of stiff dialog to revise, and some descriptive scenes that need to be paired down/built up, depending on the situation, but I HAVE FINISHED the first draft! Honestly, I think I've read the first chapter fifteen times, and some of the subsequent chapters only once, so it will take some work. I made myself push ahead even if I wasn't happy with my word choice so that I could get the ideas down and weave a cohesive story. There are a few rough spots that I know I need to go back to, and I'm sure there are many more that I will come across as I go through the editing process, but right now I am patting myself on the back. Step one: Write the Novel--Complete! I'll let you know how Step two: Editing goes when I cross that bridge.

Special thanks (in advance) to my writing buddy, Ambie. You know I'm gonna make you read a lot of passages during the editing process, so be prepared!

4 comments:

  1. Glad to hear you're still writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I've read, it seems like something I would pick from the library or even on my rare trip to a bookstore! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is definitely a girl book. I won't claim it compares with Danielle Steele, Jennifer Cruisie, Nicholas Sparks, or Christina Dodd, but that's the genre I'm shooting for. I think with some careful editing, it will at least compare to the things Harlequin publishes. I'll probably send it to some of you guys to read for feedback when I get to that point, so thanks in advance for reading :)

    ReplyDelete