Sunday, April 17, 2011

Poor Little Piggy

Poor Piggy made it through surgery for a full recovery,
but he's going to have a few scars.
Pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters roll all over the table and my son smiles as he sorts them into piles. We talk about how much they are worth relative to each other, how to tell them apart, how to count them, and how to spend them. Eli really wants his own rake and shovel so he can help out in the garden, but this is a slim week, so Mommy says, "Why don't we break open your piggy bank and see if you have enough money to buy them?" He is so excited to be able to buy his own tools, but sad that it comes at a cost: the health of his little piggy bank. This little guy does not have a cork or a rubber stopper. The only opening on him is the coin slot on his back. There is nothing for it, we have to break him open. So Eli cringes as I use a screwdriver to pry apart the piggy, and when it is done he asks, "Mommy, can we fix him?" I say, of course we can and I smile, even though I'm not sure how. The piggy bank is made of plastic, and I still haven't found a reliable glue that will keep plastic together once it is broken. As worried as he is about his little friend, Eli has forgotten why we are emptying his bank in the first place. But as his mommy, it's my job to make sure everything is okay, so as soon as we are done counting his money ($15 and a handful of pennies), I take his tiny piggy bank and the broken pieces inside to try to put it back together. I feel like the king's horses and men trying to repair Humpty Dumpty, only I have something that they didn't have: tape and band-aids, and I know how to use them! Piggy will live to be cracked another day, and in the meantime will be fat on pennies, nickels, dimes and quarters once more. And Eli shall have his shovel and his rake. Someday he'll have to learn that you can't always have your cake and eat it too (or your pork, rather), but today my kid can be a child, comforted with the notion that Mommy can fix all things with a piece of tape and a band-aid. He can grow up tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment