Monday, April 18, 2011

Tying Up Loose Ends

In trying to come up with decorating ideas for my daughters' upcoming Princess Masquerade Ball, I dug a wall hanging out of storage that I made back in the college days. To be more accurate, it is a tapestry; however, it is a far cry from what probably you probably picture in your mind when you hear the word "tapestry". The graphic is unsophisticated, the colors are dull, and the whole thing is made from acrylic yarn. Even though the execution is crude, the design is appropriate for my medieval castle decor plan. 

When I originally wove this tapestry, I was trying to combine the traditional coat of arms for my family and my husband's, but I was in a rush to finish it to meet the deadline. I ended up hot-gluing strips of poplar to both ends to cover up the knotted thread. Five years and three moves later, the first thing I notice is that at some point one of these strips has been broken.

Castle themed? Yes. Fit for a princess? No.

So I removed the wooden strips and dug through my fabric selection to find an appropriate color to bind the ends. Light blue works, and I had just enough. I machine stitched them into place. When the ends were bound, I added loops so that I could slip a rod through. After a scavenging trip to my outbuilding in the backyard (packed with goodies left by the previous owner of our house), I returned with an old wooden curtain rod and finials. A little long, but otherwise perfect. I'll have to get my husband to cut it shorter and drill a hole for the screw on the finial, and then I'll glue the ends on.

Looks a lot better than the original presentation, even with the long
curtain rod. I think my princesses would approve.

When this project was done, I had just enough time before my girls woke up from their nap to finish something else I had in the works. Do you remember the knight's shields we made with salt dough, cardboard, and aluminum foil? I used some acrylic paint to give them a faux patina. I think overall, the snake turned out better than the dragon, but both will work for our purposes.

All they need now are loops on the back so they can be hung on the wall.
Hot glue to the rescue!

Not bad work for an afternoon. The next project I will be tackling: princess gowns for my soon-to-be two-year-olds. Now that is a test of my skills if ever there was one. I'll let you know how that turns out.

2 comments:

  1. I think the coat of arms looks great. I like the blue and yellow combo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Yellow (gold) was from the Erb coat of arms. Blue was from the Dotson. The black wings are eagle wings and the white bird is a Welsch chough, I think. I think the whip with 5 lashes was Erb, but not sure. The feathers were black for Erb, blue for Dotson. The background yellow was an attempt at an aged parchment look.

    ReplyDelete