Friday, May 27, 2011

What Are You Wearing, Tin Foil?

Stylin' at the Princess Party.
I recently inherited a lot of fabric and costume supplies from my grandmother, great aunt, and the lady across the street. When digging through the boxes and bags, I found a silver dress that I'd say originated in the 80's. This dress had costume potential, that much was immediately apparent. In fact, I wore it at the first costume opportunity: the Princess Party. The dress was a perfect fit, and it seems kind of sad really that I won't be able to use it again anytime soon... Or will I?

It occurred to me that 80's style has made a recent resurgence, and the silver dress (with a little modification) could be rendered wearable again. So today I put the dress on my dress form and got to work. With the assistance of my handy-dandy seam ripper (if you don't have one already, you NEED one!), I was able to remove the sash and bow and loosen the crinkled part around the top. I was pleasantly surprised by what I found underneath, a finished silver bodice.

I haven't cut anything or sewn a stitch, but I think I've accomplished the impossible: bringing this dress into the 21st century. Take a look, and tell me what you think:

I forgot to take a "Before" picture when I first put the dress on my dress
form, but here is a picture of me in the dress at the princess party (with
the two princesses... I think I had cookies ;)

(Forgive the visible bra and the padding I used to stuff it with... My dress form isn't as
"blessed" as I am.) I've taken about a foot or more off the length and pinned it in a bubble
hem. Without the sash and giant bow, the dress looks a little more slender through the
waist. I've tucked the crinkled fabric in around the top for a sleeker detail. I'm toying with
the idea of a ribbon belt, although this particular piece of ribbon is discolored, so far it's
the most satisfying solution I can find. The dress needed something, just not a giant
silver bow.

So, I could really use feedback on this one. What do you think? Is this dress wearable, or am I delusional in thinking that I could wear it in public, possibly to a wedding? Any other ideas on finishing it up besides the ribbon belt? I was considering a beaded applique on the hip, black lace around the midriff or a black belt. I imagine I'd wear this with a pair of black 3" heels and a chunky necklace. Any other ideas for styling? Please comment! (I'd rather get a warning from the Fashion Police BEFOREHAND than get picked up for a violation AFTER I've worn this in public.)

4 comments:

  1. I would say 80's party with black leggings...ha! I haven't a clue on etiquette with this one. You did a nice job with it though...

    And it appears like your dress form is naturally as blessed as I am...bah-hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha... I'm thinking of looking for a beaded applique to go on the hip and possibly getting some spray fabric paint in black to tone down the silver. Maybe I'll take some lace and spray it through it? I dunno... First thing's first, I need to do some sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wearing lots of silver (pop tabs), I could be a bit warped, but I think it is lovely. ;) It's definitely possible to tone down the shine. Wouldn't necessarily have to permanently alter the dress itself. I'd add some color, or just black via a shrug, leggings, jewelry, belt/sash, etc... Once accessorized, it would really play down the silver.

    And, if it's going to go 80's, good heavens, don't forget the neon! :D

    Wickedly awesome dress! It's a totally gnarly find, for sure, dude. Rock on!

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha ha, thanks Mieljolie! I totally plan to wear this out, and hopefully with the right accessories I can rock it :)

    ReplyDelete