Thursday, June 2, 2011

30 Days of Creativity Challenge -- Day 1

According to their website, the 30 Days of Creativity Challenge is "a social initiative encouraging people to create stuff (anything) every day for 30 days in June". Well, this sounded right up my alley, so I decided to give it a shot. Please join me in being creative for as many days as you can in the month of June!

Day 1: Writing A Novel--Take Two

As you probably know if you've been following this blog, I recently decided to write a novel and have completed a draft about 58,000 words in length. "Love and the Placebo Effect" is the story of Jane Little and Adrian Garrett wending their way through the wily world of love... Ha. Well, when I was about halfway through writing about Jane and Adrian, I had a sudden inspiration one day when I was in the shower (where else?). I began writing the story of Kellie Carter and Jason Mowbry. From the beginning, I could tell that this was going to be fun to write, and I have been itching to get back to writing this story. I have given it a lot of thought, but haven't had much time to start writing. Well, today I found some time and added a few pages to this second manuscript.

So far "Sex on a Schedule" is only a little over 6,000 words and I've barely gotten into the story, but I find myself enjoying the effort. This story is of the same genre as the first (romance), but I'm planning on amping up the trouble for my heroine (Kellie), starting with catching her husband cheating and deciding to get even with a drunken night in the arms of a co-worker she can barely stand (Mowbry). Here's a sneak peek of what I've been working on today: (It's a little rough, so bear with me...)




They had christened the entryway floor, the shower, and the wall in the upstairs hallway before Mowbry finally suggested that they try the bed. Visions of Dan and Rebekah sprawled out naked in her bed briefly filled Kellie’s head, and in her indecisive moment, Mowbry picked her up and slung her over his shoulder, hauling her into the bedroom and tossing her to the bed like a sack of dirty laundry.

“I don’t want to use the bed. I want to shoot it, slice it open, rip it apart, and burn it. Then I’ll deliver it to Dan with a nice ribbon tied around it,” Kellie protested, eyes narrowed as she envisioned the carnage.

“That’s stupid,” Mowbry said, climbing on top of her.

“No, I mean it. I don’t want to look at this bed, much less sleep on it. I couldn’t… Not after…” Kellie’s voice trailed off, and just like that, the sex-crazed hellcat turned into a somber little girl ready to cry. Mowbry felt like a dick.

“Look, honey, you can’t think like that. You can’t let Dan have that power over you. First you’ll get rid of your bed, and then you’ll have to throw away the wedding China. Next thing you know you’ll be selling your house. You might not talk about yourself much at work, but you sure do talk about this house. It’s your dream home, you can’t let him take that away from you.”

Kellie sat up on the bed and hugged her knees, thinking about what Mowbry had said. She took a look around the room, at all the compromises she had made to make Dan happy: the taupe walls, the ugly brown carpet, the massive computer desk that dominated the window wall. The memory foam mattress had been her choice: Dan had wanted something extra-firm and full of springs from the discount store, but Kellie had insisted. Reluctantly, he had let her win this round, but in turn she had to give up her grandma’s antique bedroom suite which was collecting dust in storage.

“You’re right. I love this house. And I love this bed. I’m not going to let Dan take that away from me. But I have to remake it into my own before I can sleep here. Do you feel like shopping?” Shopping? Mowbry looked at his watch, then he looked at her face. She looked so downtrodden, he would have given her anything she asked for, but it was late; what store would be open?

“It’s after midnight, hon. What did you have in mind?” Kellie pursed her lips in thought. She could order something off the internet, but what she really needed was some instant gratification, some visible change. Then an idea struck.

“Mowbry, wait right here. I’ll be right back,” she said before bounding off the bed and shooting out the door. Mowbry smiled at her retreating form, naked and bouncy and full of energy like a kid. He was pretty well used up, ready to collapse from exhaustion at any moment. After all the liquor she’d had, he was surprised she wasn’t ready to pass out too. At that thought, he felt a niggling qualm about sleeping with her. Did sleeping with his married, drunk boss at her lowest point make him a bad person? Probably.

Kellie returned to the room with a laundry basket under her arm loaded down with new sheets, Febreze, Lysol, and a half-empty bottle of coconut rum. Taking a swig straight from the bottle, Kellie offered Mowbry the rum, which he declined with a wave of his hand. Kellie shrugged, took another pull at the bottle and set the basket down, shoving Mowbry off the bed  and stripping it down. Next she picked up her spray bottles and let the mattress have it with both barrels. Mowbry took a step back; he didn’t see how she could breathe in that cloud of aerosol, but if the maniacal grin on her face was any indication, she wasn’t having any trouble.

“Okay, okay, I think you’ve killed the cooties!” Mowbry insisted, taking her hands in his. Kellie looked up at him and snickered, squirting him across the chest with the Lysol. “Very funny. Give me that,” he said as he took the cleaners from her hands and dropped them on the floor.

“Help me make the bed, okay?”  

“Alright. Toss me that sheet,” he answered, arms outstretched, still naked from their lovemaking. Kellie giggled again, looking him over from head to toe appreciatively.

“Are you sure you weren’t a professional wrestler in a past life?” she teased.

Mowbry frowned. “Naw, you’d never catch me prancing around in spandex. Hand me the sheet, will ya?” Kellie complied, admiring the muscles of his back and arms stretching and contracting as he made the bed. It was like watching a lion moving stealthily in the savannah—a riveting show of nature’s glory. She took another swig from the bottle, feeling the tension release completely from her body. For a meathead, he wasn’t half bad in bed.

“Alright, Miss Kellie, your brand-new bed is ready for your inspection,” he announced with a flourish. Kellie eyed it critically, swallowing again from the bottle of rum.

“Very nice. I take it back, you weren’t a wrestler, you were a maid. Do you do windows, too?” Kellie crawled into bed slowly, looking up at him from beneath dark lashes. Mowbry shook his head, amazed at the transformation in Kellie from the no-nonsense sales manager to the wanton temptress who teased him relentlessly. He took the bottle from her, drank a long swig himself, and settled in beside her, admiring the curve of her hips and the fullness of her breasts.

“Who are you? Have we met?”

Kellie threw her head back and laughed. “Shut up. I’m not paying you to talk,” she scolded, running her hands over his chest once more and catching his lip between her teeth. Mowbry smiled as he felt himself harden once more. Damn. This chick is going for the record.

2 comments:

  1. ahhhh...just what I needed. A bit of smut with my afternoon coffee to jump start me into packing mode! Seriously, I love it. I think I like that even more than the other. You can tell it's easy for you to write. flows well...looking forward to reading more! Order me a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha! Thanks, Annie :) I think this one is going better than the first, which I suppose is to be expected. I think I based Jane more on my own experiences, but I like Kellie a lot better, lol. I've been reading and doing some research on writing since I started the whole writing project, and I think it's paying off. Christina Dodd (successful writer of smut) says to torture your heroine early and often, and that's what I'm trying to do here! If it never gets published, I'll send you a copy when it's finished anyway :)

    ReplyDelete