Thursday, June 2, 2011

Day 2: Radish Chips

Creativity Challenge, Day 2: Radish Chips

Can you call it a creative project when you follow a recipe? I think so, especially if you don't quite have all the ingredients called for and end up substituting a few things of your own. Even when you follow a recipe precisely, you are still creating something with your hands, making something out of its component parts. Using that logic, my creative project for the day was baking some radish chips.

As you may recall, I experimented with radish muffins previously, and they turned out so-so. Well, with all the rain we've been having, my garden is doing well, and I wanted to see what else I could do with all these radishes I've got sprouting up. Radishes are very healthy, with 27% of your daily allowance of Vitamin A and 16% of your Vitamin C, as well as being low in fat, calories, and carbohydrates, so it's the perfect snack food for my kids. But how to get them to eat radishes? That's where Google came in: a quick search for "radish chips" brought up a great recipe from the Calorie Count website. Not only is this recipe easy, it is simple too. Check out the original recipe at the link above. The following is what I did:

The recipe calls for 10 radishes. Some of mine were small, so I gathered a
few extra from the garden. 

Cut off roots and stems, clean radishes. Slice radishes into thin "chip" slices.

Steam radishes for 5 minutes in the microwave. I put mine in a bowl and added
a little water, covering loosely with a lid. Drain the water, then add spices. I
used chili powder, garlic powder, and Accent (MSG). I used the same bowl,
putting the lid on tight this time and shaking to disperse the spices.

Cook in preheated 350 degree oven for 10 minutes. Flip radishes, put back
in the oven for an additional 10 minutes. You may want to spray your baking
sheet with a cooking spray like Pam. The recipe didn't call for it, but some of
my chips stuck. Also, you may want to fudge the time a bit to get your chips
to maximum crunchiness.

Enjoy! These tasted good hot and cold. Mine weren't crunchy, but I forgot
to preheat my oven, so there you go. Pretty tasty though. You can, of course,
use different spices if you don't like chili powder and garlic.

Personally, I liked these much better than the muffins. My son liked them too. We'll see about the girls... All in all, this is a pretty good recipe and you should definitely try it if you are looking for a healthier chip substitute, or if you just have a bunch of pesky radishes hanging about and are trying to come up with a way to get rid of them.

Note: they cooked down pretty small, so if you are cooking for more than 3 or 4 people, you definitely want to double the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. hmmm...Elizabeth might eat those with ranch if I could slice them to look like chips. Thanks!! We love radishes! And those sound better than muffins! lol

    ReplyDelete