Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 26: My Own Version of the Butterfly Pleated Tote

If you've been following the Cardboard Crafter Facebook Page, then you have probably figured out that I've been thinking about making a purse. I am a sucker for little bags, the more pockets, the better. I thought I'd try my hand at making a unique bag for my own personal use, especially since I can never find a purse at the store that I'm 100% satisfied with. If the bag is the perfect size, the strap is too long; if I find one with the perfect strap, it doesn't have enough pockets, etc. This way, if it's not exactly perfect, at least I haven't spent $50 or more on something that is not quite right. (Try free... much better, in my opinion.) Inspired by this tutorial, I used a little bit of this and that from my sewing room and put together my own little bag, designed by me. This little bag is a product of what I call "designing on the fly", so although there are a few things I might change if I were to do it again, overall I'm pretty happy with it.

This was my first attempt. I liked the feather print fabric, but it was really
heavy, and after I got this far I decided to scrap it. It looks better in the picture
than it did in real life.

Second attempt. The pictures are a little fuzzy, but this is a little shiny white
bag with a brown pinstripe flap. The handle is a knit belt, probably from a dress,
among the items I have nestled in my sewing room. 

The purse is belted with a greenish ribbon. I think I'm going to tack this down,
but as of now it is just looped through the loops of the handle.

The lining is a white muslin with a red floral pattern. I sewed in a pocket made
from a peach colored patch of muslin with a leafy pattern. 

This bag is big enough I can toss a few diapers and some wipes in it along with my wallet
and phone and be ready to go. The mix of fabrics and the whimsical butterfly appliques
lend this to a casual outfit, and I may put this to use this summer.  

My second attempt turned out so much better than the first, and overall, I'm pleased with the end result. I can't wait to see how bag number three looks! Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment