Thursday, June 30, 2011

Day 30: Sew Easy Kid Capris

I've been reading a lot of sewing blogs lately and have become duly inspired. Zaaberry and Aesthetic Nest are really great blogs for sewing projects with excellent tutorials, and these ladies know how to sew. I'm still an amateur, but I'm feeling a little adventurous... I mean, they make it look sew easy... ha ha. Anyway, I've been considering what garment to try to reproduce, and I have decided upon a pair of capri pants for my girls. See below.

This is my inspiration piece. I am starting simple, skipping the ruffles and
embroidery. Maybe after I confirm that my pattern is viable I may try something
a little more involved like pockets or some sort of ornamentation.

First I'll have to make my pattern. Stretch out the waistband to get an accurate
line at the top. Don't forget to add your seam allowances and mark your fold.

Pin to your fabric and cut. I doubled it so I would only have to pin/cut once.

I used my serger to finish the edges at the legs and then sewed the inseam.
Turning the legs right-side out, I sewed the two legs together. Once the pieces
were together, I serged around the waist line to finish those edges.

This pair of shorts is going to have an elastic waistband, so I turned down
the top edge to make a channel wide enough to slip my elastic through.

When I sewed the waistband, I left about 2 inches open to thread my elastic
through. I cut my elastic about 2 inches shorter than the girls' waist size, so
hopefully it will fit. I attached a safety pin to the end of the elastic to help
thread it through. Next, I serged the ends of the elastic together and closed
up the hole in the channel.

The only thing left to do was hem the legs. This is what my shorts looked like
inside out.

Here is the finished product.
Tomorrow I plan to try the shorts on one of the girls to verify that they fit. If so, I will repeat in a different color, and try to fashion some shirts to match. I'm thinking of a variation on these pillow case dresses for the shirt. I love the way they are gathered at the top and tied with an oversize bow. I think I can basically take this idea and just make it shirt length, but we'll see. Stay tuned!

This concludes my participation in the 30 Day Creativity Challenge. I cannot say that I rocked it because I missed a few day, but it did force me to look at some things in a new perspective and to reexamine my definition of "creativity". Tomorrow, we will return to your regularly scheduled program.

1 comment:

  1. Great stuff! Thanks so much for the shout out!

    ReplyDelete