Sunday, June 5, 2011

Day 4: Decisions, Decisions...

Last night I finished sewing the silver dress. The bubble hem was easier than I thought it would be; it just took a lot of pins and some fun with the serger. Now I need to decide how to embellish it. It just doesn't seem finished as is. Below are a few variations I've tried this evening. (I'm trying to find something that won't require a lot of hand stitching--which I hate.)

Three black roses, halter top, pink rose. I have a belt I'd like to try, but I can't
seem to find it... Maybe some house cleaning is in order? Nah...
I don't know if there really is a problem with the dress, or if I'm just not brave enough to wear something I have sewn (and something bright silver) in public, but it just doesn't feel right yet. Honestly, this is the first thing that I've sewn that I plan to wear for a non-costume-party function, and maybe it's just a confidence problem, but I feel that it could look better. Belt, flower, applique, halter top, I need to find the magical combination that will make this dress wearable. It's a big decision for me and I have about five days in which to make it. I'm hoping to luck into something, perhaps in the bags and boxes of sewing stuff in my craft room. There's all kinds of treasure in there, some of which I haven't dug into yet. We'll see.



2 comments:

  1. Wow..nice..I'm impressed of course I couldn't sew my way out of a...somethinglol.
    I like it, maybe if you toned it with black, instead of a brighter color. Leave it as is in photo #1 and put a black shawl or summer sweater with it. Shoes should match.
    Hope you don't mind the input.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate the input! No, I really don't know how best to finish this, and last night I was so tired I could barely construct a coherent sentence, lol. I have some black heels that I think I will wear, but I don't have a black shawl... I do, however, have black lace that could be sewn into a shawl... hmmm... And Babs, I didn't make this from scratch, I altered a dress that had been given to me. My sewing proficiency level is still hovering somewhere just above beginner, lol.

    ReplyDelete