Friday, July 22, 2011

And Something for the Boy

I've been doing a lot of sewing lately, but mostly for my girls. It occurred to me that perhaps my son might be feeling a little left out, so I scoured the internet for ideas. (Okay, so I only spent about 10 minutes on a Google search, but it was fruitful, so I consider the internet quite scoured enough.)

Apparently other moms have noticed that there are loads of tutorials for girls clothes to be found online, but not so much for boys. To remedy this, the good folks over at MADE did a whole month of boys items in their Celebrate the Boy month earlier in the year. My project for my very own boy was loosely based upon this tutorial; however, I admittedly didn't use a real pattern (and my son's pants probably suffered from it).

I've recently discovered this about myself: I don't like patterns, and I hate to follow recipes. Too impatient, I guess... and I like the freedom to improvise, although sometimes this comes back to bite me in the butt. But, I digress...

This is the fabric I used. The maroon pocket fabric matched the pinstripes in
the pants fabric perfectly. I made my pattern pieces based upon a pair of pants
my son had and my memory of the above tutorial. (And no, I didn't make a
tutorial because I thought the link above was probably better than anything
I could whip up today.)

I thought it turned out alright, although perhaps a bit loose
in the crotch... I doubt he'll ever wear these to school, but I
think they will be comfortable for wearing around the house
this summer.

I love a pinstripe, and a white pant makes me think
of the tropics. 

I think pockets go a long way to making a pair of pants look
manly. Even bright maroon pockets... 

Okay... I got a little creative with this pic, lol. For some
reason, he was glowing like this in all the pics and I had to
do what I could to edit that out. I decided to go a different
direction with this pic.

There's a small gap in the stitching on the pocket where, for some reason, the
bobbin thread didn't catch. You can see it if you look closely. I'll have to go in
and fix that.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased. I think they look boyish and sophisticated at the
same time. I tried to find his hat to wear during his modeling session, but alas
it was not to be found.

And immediately afterward, he changed back into his other
clothes. I guess Mommy was more excited about his new pants
than he was. Oh, well. Also, his sisters are wearing some of his
old clothes. I love boys' clothes on little girls :)

Have you come across any other great tutorials for boys? I don't want my little guy to feel left out!

1 comment:

  1. How cute! I like the contrasting pockets. And, I have to agree on the boy clothes on the girls. They usually have colors I prefer. Why do all girl clothes have to be hot pink or pastels?? ;P

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete