Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Easy T-Shirt Summer Dress

Yesterday I purchased a blue t-shirt with the idea that I would decorate it for July 4, but ended up making a striped skirt to wear with it instead. Well today I decided that I had cheated myself and I needed to do something with the t-shirt after all, thus the t-shirt dress was born.

I started with this plain blue t-shirt. This shirt was a little
long, hitting me at about mid-hip, so I decided to add a
little skirt to it using the navy and white striped fabric
from the grey t-shirt I modified the other day.
I eyeballed my fabric, measuring approximately twice the waist
size of the t-shirt. I serged a short ruffle (about 5 inches) on the
longer skirt (approx 10 inches) and then serged it closed in the
back forming a two tiered rectangle. Next, I gathered the fabric
using the dental floss method. This was a new method for me.
I used a big zig-zag stitch and sewed the floss to the skirt, then
pulled the floss to gather the fabric.
I marked the t-shirt where I planned to cut with chalk and cut out the neck
and sleeves, leaving the edges raw to match my "hem".

I pinned the pieces together and attached them using
my serger. Be careful with pins when serging! I nearly
cut one in half today, and the machine did not like it.

I decided to use the same kind of button detail on here as I added to my shirt.
I cut different size circles using the sleeve fabric and some leftover scraps from
the navy and white striped fabric and attaching with buttons from my stash.

This time I put the detail near the hem and added a few
spare buttons for balance.
I had to add darts to keep the sleeve holes from gapping. To do this, turn the
dress inside out and put it on and pin both sides, making sure to keep it as
symmetrical as possible.

Cute enough for dinner out with the girls :) Cool enough
for a summer evening. I was pleased with the result.

I think this is a great girly addition to my ho-hum wardrobe. Hopefully with a few more projects, I'll have a wardrobe that even Stacy and Clinton can be approve of (and a price that would make Stacy say, "Shut up!"). With $1 invested in this dress, I think I've got a decent start.

4 comments:

  1. When you wake up in the morning do you have talent dripping from the sheets, ideas overflowing? Love it.
    I'm sending a friend named Melanie to your site to check it out, she's a crocheter, not sure if she sews but she needs to. I'm afraid I'm a little too chunky for that idea. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful image! I like it :) And thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this! I'm voting for a t-shirt dress give-a-way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second that motion! I want one!

    ReplyDelete