Friday, July 15, 2011

First Attempt at Pants for Me: A Learning Experience

The making of these pants, imperfect though they may be, has served as a lesson in several ways. First of all, I learned that I DO need to make two pattern pieces: one for the front, and one for the back. Otherwise, I either end up with enough extra space below my belt to accommodate a front butt (which, thank goodness, I don't have), or if it fits in the front, I will be sporting the stereotypical "plumber's crack" in the back. Lesson learned.

The second thing I picked up on is if I'm going to make a dart or pleat, I must be cognizant of what it will look like on both ends. Example: I managed to get rid of all the extra space in the front by making a horizontal tuck across the tummy, but that left me with some fluffy hips. In effort to camouflage this, I sewed on the pink stripes (easier done BEFORE one sews the pants together, but of course I did it after). When camouflage didn't work, I attached some large buttons to the offending area, thus pointing out the flaw, as if to say "I MEANT to do that". It didn't fix the problem, but I consider it dealt with.

While I'm not sure if even my grandma wears baby blue polyester knit pants these days, I think I will prance around in these for today at least. Even in a failed project one can take some pride, but especially from a failed project one emerges a tad wiser. Or at least I'd like to think so. Maybe my funny blue pants don't scream "wise and learned" to anyone else, but as I wear them and remember the process, I will work out a thousand alternate ways in which to construct the next pair of pants, and these babies will serve as a reminder that even in imperfection there is a purpose.



3 comments:

  1. HA! I laughed at the "front butt!" Great job! I think I might embark upon actually sewing my daughter a stuffed animal hammock. pray...LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! You cracked me up. Albeit not my colors, I don't think they look all that bad in the pics. By the description, I imagined much worse. :)

    I've made a few pants in my day. I stick to making a pattern from a pair that fit well. I never use a store bought pattern. Can't ever get them to fit. I think it's all about cutting the crotch the right shape. I've found that fabric choice makes all the difference, too. :)

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm very short and fairly curvy, I am completely afraid to go with a store bought pattern. I just haven't experimented enough to know what the "right" shape is for the crotch! But at least now I know for certain that the front and back parts need to be different, lol. I'm almost tempted to remake these using the same pattern, then cut them apart after I've tucked them to make a new pattern... We'll see. Also, I don't really have pants that fit really well, one of the reasons I was inspired to try to make some. If I could find 1 pair that fit perfectly, that would definitely be my pattern! But, as the saying goes, "If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, every day would be Christmas!"

    ReplyDelete