Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Girls Don't HAVE to Wear Pink...

I don't prescribe to the law that all little girls must wear pink... but it is a nice
accent for green, which is one of my favorite colors. And who doesn't like
a print that incorporates creative pursuits such as painting!

I thought I'd try my hand a a little more creative photography than usual, after all, all the
cool blogs are doing it. I've got the dress hanging on the twisty tree out front :) Fun fact:
it was so hot and humid outside, that when I first tried to take this picture, I couldn't see
anything because my lens was all fogged up. 

My little models were asleep, so why not throw the dress onto some shrubbery for the
picture? I took the pictures outside to make use of the natural light, but ended up having
to photo edit anyway because I chose to photograph everything in the shade... well,
you live and you learn.

Does the pink fabric look familiar? That's right, I used this same fabric to
make pillow cases for my girls. And now I've used it in a pillow case dress.
Ironic, or just a coincidence?

This dress was finished with a ruffle detail at the bottom and some eyelet
lace to soften the contrast between the light and dark greens. I'm really
pleased with the way this turned out, and I hope my giveaway winner is too!

Today was a great day for creativity because I got to pursue two different creative outcomes for this one blog post (three, if you count the writing). First, I spent a couple hours in the sewing room constructing a new pillowcase dress for my giveaway winner. (This could have been yours... but did you enter? No. You know who you are.) Then, I tried to be a little more creative with my photography, because let's face it, some of my photos are distinctly lacking in style. So, altogether, I really got the creative juices flowing today.

On the subject of sewing, I think one of the most important things to making a cute garment for kids is fabric choice. I probably took about 15-20 minutes going through my fabric pile, trying different bits together before I made my final decision. I don't know what I'll do when I run out of cool fabric in my stash! (I guess I'll have to dig through the clearance bins or use some of those coupons I post on the Facebook page... because you know me, I'm not going to pay full price!)

I'm not the only one in the mood to make pillowcase dresses today. Check out the pillowcase flower girl dresses that Aesthetic Nest is working on. Or your could make one out of an ACTUAL pillowcase like iCandy Handmade's pillowcase nightgowns. There's tons of creative mamas out there on the web. If you want to try your own pillowcase dress, I bet a Google search for pillowcase dresses would yield some great inspiration and probably a few tutorials. The number one rule: have fun with it!

6 comments:

  1. OMG!! That is ADORABLE!!!! If I could fit in it, I'd wear it! Love the colors. She's gonna love love love it! You did an awesome job! That is some really cute fabric.

    Thanks so much!

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you like it :) I tried to pick the fabric with you in mind, and make it something that that fit with your aesthetic, considering you are giving it as a gift. Not too much pink, a bit of a vintage nod, but feminine. I think it turned out pretty cute myself, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great minds think alike, right! Thanks for the link and comment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I love that little print. One of my future goals is to make a pillowcase dress! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the link! Love your dress, too!
    So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi my name is Laura and I'm 9 years old. I agree that pink goes well with green. I made a website called www.girlsdonthavetowearpink.com and I'd like it if you came to check it out.

    ReplyDelete