Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Kid-Friendly Casserole, A Lunch Time Hit!

Meal time is always a challenge at my house. With three kids, I can rarely come up with something all of them will love, let alone something healthy, but today I think I did it. As always, I started by taking stock of the food items in my kitchen, picking a few ingredients I wanted to work with, and improvised from there. Here's my recipe:

A bunch of broccoli (from the garden)
Half a box of shells
A jar of Double Cheddar Cheesy Ragu sauce
Half a red onion
A few tablespoons of butter
A couple handfuls of Lays original chips
Some shredded colby-jack cheese

Boil broccoli with your shells, following the directions on the macaroni box (about 7-10 minutes). Dice the red onion and saute in butter. Drain noodles and broccoli and return to pot, adding sauteed onions and cheese sauce. Pour noodle/broccoli mixture into a casserole pan and top with crunched chips and shredded cheese. Bake in the oven until cheese is melted. (I baked at 475 for 10 minutes because those were the directions on the fish sticks that were also in the oven.) Remove from oven and enjoy!



Red onions give the casserole a little more flavor and add some nice color
to the dish.

When I first added the noodles, they sank to the bottom while the broccoli
floated. By the end, it was all pretty equally mixed.

Doesn't that look good? This was before I popped it in the
oven to finish it off. When I make a casserole, I usually make
sure all the components are cooked prior to baking, that way
I don't have to worry about crunchy noodles or rice or anything
ending up cold or raw.

Looks great on my fine china, too!

1 comment:

  1. ha! We have some of that fine china too! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete