Friday, July 8, 2011

Quilting Scraps + Aborted Bedskirt = Cute Girl's Dress

Can you guess what I've been doing today? That's right, sewing! This dress
is for a little girl who is turning 2, just like my girls, so I made it approximately
the same size as their dresses. The floral/strawberry print is the same I used
on Claire's sash, as is the eyelet fabric.

Here's the finished product.  I screwed this one up a bit and had to let it out a little by adding
some panels to the sides, and then, of course, I had to cover that up somehow... So I added
the sash. I think it's a nice touch, really, so it makes me (almost) glad I screwed it up. 

Here's the back detail. I made the button loop a bit big, so the button is placed
a little farther from the center than usual. Overall, though, I'm pleased with the
outcome. Hopefully it's big enough it will fit around the waist. I might try it
on one of my girls tonight when they wake up from napping just to make sure.

All of the fabric in this dress (and the Strawberry pillowcase dresses) were donated to me from various grandmothers. The white eyelet fabric was originally intended to be a bedskirt before I got my hands on it and the floral fabric is leftover quilting scraps. Luckily, 2-year-olds are small, so it doesn't take much fabric to fashion a dress for them :) This one was somewhat experimental and also started late at night (when I should have been sleeping) so I made a few errors, but I would say it taught me a few lessons. Hopefully I can apply anything I learned to the next project, improving the outcome of future dresses. We'll see...

No comments:

Post a Comment