Saturday, July 2, 2011

This Cake Sucks--In a GOOD Way!

Remember this picture from yesterday?


Did anyone guess what my project was? Well, I know one or two of you probably figured it out (well, you were in on it, so you SHOULD have figured it out, at least), but at this point there's no reason to keep it a secret... I was making a cake. Not just any cake, but a birthday cake for my mother-in-law's surprise 39th (ahem) birthday party... (Okay, I know the cake says "50," but I'm sure that was just a misunderstanding, lol.) Why all the cardboard? you may ask. Well, I'll tell you: this cake was my most ambitious cake to date, a three-tiered topsy turvy cake. I'm no baker, and I wasn't even going to attempt fondant, but I think it turned out pretty well.

This is the cake pre-icing. I had two 8 inch round cakes, a deep 6 inch
round cake, and two cupcakes. Go to YouTube and search for topsy
turvy cake for a tutorial. 

This was an orange cake with chocolate icing between
layers and lemon icing on the outside. It tasted kind of
like those chocolate oranges they sell at Chrastmas time.
I put the cake in the fridge overnight.

My husband helped by counting out 50 Dum Dums and removing the wrappers.
I had intended to leave the wrappers on, but I think it looks better like this.
(Thanks, Honey!) The cake has 50 suckers on it. The sign reads "50 sucks."
Get it?

Detail of the top layer.
I can't say that the "50 Sucks"/50 suckers idea was entirely my own, however. I got the idea from Sisters Stuff when they made their "30 Sucks" birthday gift, adapting the idea to suit my purposes. Inspiration can come from anywhere, but I've been finding it lately from other crafty people sharing their ideas on their blogs. Isn't the Internet wonderful? :)

5 comments:

  1. LOVE it! Great idea & your cake turned out great :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome!! Great job on the cake! I love the suckers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like it, what a great idea. good job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never would have guessed a cake. :) Great cake, btw!! I have trouble making cupcakes come out right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! It was pretty ambitious, but I was really pleased with the way it turned out. And it tasted pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete