Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Little Lace Never Hurt Anyone

Nothing like a little lace trim to ameliorate all your woes.
It's been said more than once, and I've come to accept this as fact: I'm short. I have short arms, short legs, short hands, short everything. On top of that, I am short-waisted. So, needless to day, buying off the rack often entails trying to make garments designed and fitted for someone a foot taller than me. This presents a fashion challenge. Until recently, I had accepted this with a sort of inevitable resignation. I wore pants that drug the ground, heels perpetually ratty where I walked on them. I donned shirts with too-low necklines (because the middle of my chest is several inches higher than that of a "normal" woman) and hems that were long enough to be unflattering on my petite form. Nothing ever fit right, but I wore it anyway, because, what choice did I have?

Then I discovered sewing. The first thing to change was the length of my pants, which I did with gusto. I can now hem a pair of pants in five minutes, I've done it so often. I could probably do it blindfolded, but let's not push it. After all, I do have to WEAR these clothes when I'm done.

This week I tried something new: shortening a shirt that was just a smidge too long. I have to admit, I was nervous. I started with the scissors, cutting off about an inch (the shirt was about 2 inches too long). I turned the bottom up once and hemmed it. It looked unfinished, so I turned it up again. That edge looked better, but this shirt was made from a blend of cotton and a stretchy synthetic fiber. It rippled and puckered. Not good. I began to wonder if I had made a mistake... the shirt had had a perfectly nice hem before, albeit a few inches lower than I would have liked. I began to search through my stash to see if an idea would come, something to remedy the mess I had made. And what did I happen upon, but a piece of lace trim the exact same blue-grey color as the shirt. Serendipity! This could hide the mess I had made of the hem.

So, with a bit of lace I have camouflaged my sewing faux pas and feminized the shirt as well. I have some trim left, and I'm thinking of running it vertically down the front from the collar down about halfway. Possibly even two rows. I just have to take a deep breath and build up my sewing courage again... Stores were recently depleted by this project, but I'm curious to see if I can make this work, and curiosity is a stronger force than fear. I'll post a picture when it's done, because you know I can't resist once the idea has entered my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment