Saturday, October 29, 2011

Rockin' the Rainbow

Today was a productive day. I got up and watched Project Runway, made cinnamon rolls, put the kids in the bath tub, washed a load of dishes, threw in a load of laundry, and then it was costume time. Trick-or-Treat isn't until Monday in our neighborhood, but today was my son's Fall Festival at his school, and in addition to games, cotton candy, nachos, and prizes, this party featured a costume contest.

Usually I spend a lot of time working on costumes for the kids, but this year I haven't had the time to spend, so we just threw some costumes together from what we had on hand. (Don't feel sorry for my poor kids who didn't even get to pick out new costumes for Halloween, our costume collection is extensive. I promise you, they are not deprived.)

The girls were "pincesses," and Eli was Captain Jack Sparrow's dead brother, although the teachers at school though he was a dead ringer for Paul Revere with his tricorn hat and colonial jacket. And while the kids were super cute (Eli even won the costume contest), I'm not writing this post to brag on how super awesome my kids are (although I think they're pretty great). And I'm not bragging on my costume-making skills either. No sirree, I really just wanted to share what I consider my biggest accomplishment of the day: putting on my fake eyelashes straight. Don't laugh, this is a big thing for me.


I don't know if you've ever tried to wear fake eyelashes, but I have, many times, only to give up in frustration after I get them on crooked and readjust them so many times they no longer want to stick. And don't even get me started on my inability to put on eyeliner... But I digress. For a costume lover like myself, my eyelash handicap is just tragic. But not today. Today I got to mark "Wear awesome rainbow-colored and gold sparkle fake eyelashes" off my bucket list. (Don't make fun of my bucket list--to each his own, right?)

The girls and I all had brightly painted eye makeup, and Mr. Jack Sparrow's Dead Brother had spooky black and red around his eyes. We were stylin'. In fact, even though I cleaned the grease paint off my kids a couple hours ago, I am STILL rocking my Halloween look. That's right.

What are your Halloween plans? What costume are you most particularly proud of? Share!!

1 comment: