Monday, November 7, 2011

Organization, O How You Elude Me

This shelving has been with me since three moves ago when
I rescued it from the curb after my neighbor discarded it.
Silly neighbor, there is a ton of potential in these shelves!
I have a dream. I have a dream of a house where there is a place for everything, and everything is in its place. I have a dream where I can walk through the living room without tripping over toys. I have a dream where I can eat at my kitchen table without causing an avalanche of kindergarten worksheets and drawings. And I have a dream of an organized sewing room where I can find everything I need to get the job done in 5 seconds flat.

"Dream on, sister," you may be thinking. You clearly must remember the shape my sewing room was in last time I dreamed of cleaning it up... Well, it's not in much better shape now, but there is potential for improvement. Yes, folks, I have acquired additional storage space. Not just any storage space, but open shelving where I can stack up my fabric and still see it. Shelving separated in square units that are perfect for putting baskets and boxes of notions and accessories inside. Shelving which will get a goodly amount of crap of my floor.

Now you may be wondering why these shelves are not actually IN the sewing room, as pictured above... Well, the problem is that there was too much crap on the floor for these to actually fit in the room. It's one of those situations where I have to clean up before I can clean up. (Usually I have to MESS things up before I can clean up and reorganize, so this is a little foreign to me.) Or at least I have to shift the piles around so that there is a path to the back wall. Well, that's doable. Once the shelves are in place, however, the real challenge begins: organization. I need to take stock of what I have on hand and arrange it in such a way that it makes sense and I can find what I have. Now THIS might call for a mess: pulling all the fabric back off the shelves and rearranging it by color or fabric type or whatever. I still have tons of stuff in boxes and bags that I never have unpacked because I had nowhere to put it. Gosh, just thinking about the job ahead has me exhausted.

But let's focus on the positives: I DO finally have storage, and I have lots of WONDERFUL things with which to craft. Organization, you may have eluded me this go round, but I've got your number and soon I will take the time to put SOMETHING in my house into order, even if the little whirlwinds I call children will soon blow through and undo all of my progress. C'est la vie. 

2 comments:

  1. You sound just like me. I promised myself I would get the craft room in order before starting any more projects this month. I made a little headway. Not much, though. You can see the top of the table, again. But, it's going to be a long time coming.

    I have noticed that the things that are organized properly and easily accessible get more use. Probably because I can find them. My paints, fabrics, wire, beads, yarn, and embroidery floss have all been well organized and have places of their own. However, the junk jewelry, leather scraps, among other things are needing attention. And, I've packed all my can tabs up nicely, but on a shelf that makes me not want to bother pulling them down to play with. No wonder I haven't done anything with them for months. :) So, the focus for me is to to find everything it's place and use the space more effectively for the items I use most.

    BTW, don't forget you can use the sides of those shelves to hang things. I use milk crates in my craft room and hang rulers and other tools on the side using "S" hooks. Never scrambling to find them anymore. And, because they are easy to get to, I manage to put them back in place, too.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooo...that's a good idea by Mieljolie to hang things off the sides. We are on the same page, sister friend. Can't wait to see your finished room!

    ReplyDelete