Friday, November 25, 2011

Quilted Christmas Ornaments

Piecing together some fabric squares with my trusty ol'
sewing machine.

The other day when I was reading through all of my son's school papers, a bright yellow sheet of paper caught my attention. No, not because of the color, but because of the content: my son's school is having a Christmas Craft Bazaar!

I've never tried to sell anything I made, except for the cardboard dollhouses I offered up at my yard sale (which didn't sell...) (**Unless, of course, you count back to when I was 5 and set up a greeting card stand on the front porch of my house. I think I sold 2 whole cards... both to relatives.) It has always been something I wanted to try. And Eli had so much fun selling lemonade at the aforementioned yard sale, that I couldn't help myself; I signed us up for a table.

The problem? We had nothing on hand to sell. So I've been looking for some pretty easy crafts that I can make from items on hand. Today I came across this post from The Sewing Loft. I had already picked out all my red and green fabric, thinking I might make some holiday dresses for a few Barbies I picked up at my local Goodwill for 50 cents each, but my husband suggested that maybe Eli would want to sell something a little less "girly" at his school. (I haven't scrapped the Barbie idea yet, but I do concede that my kid needs a few other things to sell as well.)

These quilted Christmas ornaments looked pretty easy and quick, which are pretty high on my list of "musts" for a craft project these days.
These are my inspiration pieces, thanks to The Sewing Loft.
Eli and I have decided to donate 50% of his proceeds to his
school, and although he doesn't know it yet, he'll get the other
half for his own Christmas shopping (that is, if we can sell anything)
I don't have pinking shears (an oversight one day to be corrected, I'm sure), but I think I have everything else I need.

  • Red, white, and green Christmas fabric
  • Felt
  • Ribbon (substitute red yarn)
  • Sewing machine
  • And my own special touch: silver thread to use for the edging

 <Finished product to be posted when I get done>

I got about halfway done with this project when it became apparent that my girls needed a little more of my attention. C'est la vie. Meet you after nap time to let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, this is funny, I keep stumbling over these sites, unexpectedly
    http://littleroseyposey.blogspot.com/2011/06/handmade-farmhouse-kitchen-island.html and when I do I think of you. so there's another one. And this one is really cute as well.

    ReplyDelete