Saturday, March 10, 2012

Planning A Circus

My daughters' birthday is coming up (May 11), and I am in party planning mode. You know how I love a party, especially one with a theme, decorations, games, etc. This year we're going big: Circus! I figured it was appropriate--3 Ring Circus for my soon to be 3-Year-Olds.

I've been brainstorming and keeping my eyes open at the dollar store for circus-y items. Menu should be easy: think concession stand. I'm going to try to do hot dogs, nachos, popcorn, cotton candy... all the classics. And I've decided that nothing would be more perfect for treat bags than animal crackers.

Carnival food -- Yum! Anyone have a funnel cake recipe? :)


I saw some invitations that I might pick up (if I can remember where they were). These looked like those little red carnival ride tickets. If I can't find them, I can definitely make some. "Admit One" invites should be a snap. I didn't do invitations to the last party, but I think I will try it again for this one.

My mom bought some large party tents a few years ago when my little sister got married, so I'm going to steal one of those and decorate for the "big top" feel. I found some awesome multi-color flag garlands at the Dollar Tree (for $1, of course). I think adding lots of balloons will go a long way, too.

Nothing like colorful banners to add a
festive ambiance.

I decided also to try something new with this party. My kids have lots of aunts and uncles and grandparents, but not very many cousins and friends their age, so generally their parties have had more adults than kids. I plan to make use of all those adults and see if I can get them to participate in the circus-y fun. My sister painted "tattoos" on the kids at my son's pirate party, and so I have her lined up to do face painting for the kids. I have discovered that my brother-in-law has a hidden talent: making balloon animals. He has agreed to ply his trade for us. I have even lined up my kids' gymnastically talented cousins to do an "acrobatic" show. I'm trying to convince my father-in-law to come as a clown; he has the shoes and red nose from last year's Halloween, and I have a giant tie and purple suspenders--I'll let you know how that goes. Now, to figure out what I can rope the rest of them into...

I would love to have a petting zoo for the kids as well, but not sure that's in my price range. More research is needed here.

Wouldn't this be fun?


Obviously I don't have all the details worked out yet (hello, cake?), but I'm pretty excited about this one. Oriental Trading has an entire section on circus/carnival themed items, so even if I run out of ideas, I can cheat.   Speaking of ideas... if you have any, feel free to toss them my way. Also, feel free to use any of mine in you own circus party! 

1 comment:

  1. Oooo...sounds wonderful! I loved what you did with the pirate party! This circus theme looks like it will be a lot of fun!

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete