Saturday, April 14, 2012

Shabby-Chic Bedroom (In Progress)

I spent a few more minutes working on my 1/12 scale dollhouse today. (This is the dollhouse with the fireplace made out of diaper boxes.) Today my focus was on the bedroom. 

I used a patterned yellow scrapbook paper for the wallpaper. For the
"chair rail" (or whatever you want to call it), I used bamboo forks-- the kind
one would use for eating meatballs at a party. 

I only bought one package, however... And it wasn't quite enough. I guess
I can't finish up the walls until after my next trip to the Dollar Tree. And I'm
not quite sure what I will use for the flooring yet. I think maybe a sage green?


Here are my bedroom furnishings. I made the bed out of popsicle sticks and
wood scraps (painted white) and sewed pillows and a quilt with fabric scraps.
The dresser and vanity were both purchased at Dollar Tree for $1. I painted
the vanity white and sanded off the edges. The stool is made from cardboard,
wooden dowels and beads, and a scrap of fabric. A doily makes a nice rug,
a broken wooden Easter ornament, small teddy bear, and discarded earring
add a little warmth. 

Cardboard makes the bones of the house, the "wallpaper" and flooring add texture, and the furniture and accessories add warmth. Sometimes I still imagine a tiny person living in my dollhouse (a la The Indian In the Cupboard) or maybe one of Beatrix Potter's little mice... 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that popsicle stick bed and want to make one for my granddaughter! Thank you! <3

    ReplyDelete