Sunday, May 13, 2012

Presenting the Amazing Circus Cake (Tutorial)

The first time I decorated a birthday cake it was because I just couldn't bear
to spend $30 on a bakery cake. Now, even though I'm not much of a baker,
I do my kids birthday cakes because it's just so much darn fun.

I found these little circus knick-knacks at the Dollar Tree one day. $3 total.
These are made of cast resin, hand-painted. They were a bit too heavy to
go on top of the cake, but that's okay... I had other ideas :)

There were quite a few candle options, but I decided to go cheap and simple
with a polka dot #3 candle.

We bought the cake mix, icing, off-brand "Fruit By the Foot", and Dots
at Save-A-Lot. Probably less than $5 for it all, although I didn't really pay
that much attention. (Total: $8-ish.)

I'm sure I've shown you how I ice a cake before, but in case you forgot,
I like to put all the icing down in a large zip-lock bag, cut the corner with
scissors, and pipe it on in a big spiral. Then I smooth it out with a butter
knife, adding more icing anywhere it is thin.

Once I was satisfied with the icing, I added a little more to the sides and
the cardboard cake board to "glue" the circus pieces in place.

Here's where the fruit rolls come in. I measured it against the side of my
cake and cut two rolls into strips roughly the same size with regular scissors.
You don't have to be too exact.

This part was a little tricky. These fruit rolls were pretty sticky. You could
use a tooth pick to poke them into place, but I managed to do it with just
my fingers. (I had washed my hands first, of course.)

I piped a little more icing around the top edge and the bottom, covering the
tops and bottoms of my circus stripes. This is why you don't have to be
perfect when measuring the fruit strips.

I finished it off with the Dots. This adds some color--a must for a circus cake.
Of all the decorations and circus-themed food and games, I think this was
probably my favorite thing. (It tasted pretty good, too!)

*Update*
Doesn't it look cheerful with the candle lit on top?

These girls knew just what to do. I think they blew out the candle before
we even finished singing the song. I wonder if sharing a candle means they
have to share a birthday wish?

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I would've never thought to do that. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete