Sunday, May 27, 2012

Restoring Some Furniture, 1/12 Scale

Somehow I convinced my husband to take me to the Milton Flea Market
today with two little girls in the hundred degree weather... Don't ask me
how, I still don't believe it myself. Anyhow, I happened to spot this little
guy on a $1 table nestled amongst the ceramic dolphins and horse figurines.
Forgive my photography. My house is perennially dark, it seems, and
although the flash makes things brighter, it doesn't make the details easier
to see.

This is a little ceramic jewelry box shaped like a vanity. The front has a
little drawer detail, and there was a pile of ribbons, flowers, beads, and
lace glued to the top.

It was a little dirty, but all in all a really good piece... for my dollhouse.

The first thing I did was rip off the fake flowers. I'm not a fan of the whole
genre, personally; therefore, my dolls aren't either. 

The glue was a little more difficult to remove. It was hot glue, so it hadn't
soaked down into the pores of the porcelain, but it was stuck pretty tight.
I scraped it off with a butter knife. I'd say it took about 10-15 minutes.

Ta-da! No fake flowers, no glue. Still a little grubby.

I mixed up some cleaner with bleach, water, and dish soap and stole a spare
tooth brush from my son's bathroom. On to scrubbing!

Most of the dirt and grime came off, and it looks like Snow White approves.

I haven't decided yet, but I may paint it. We'll see.

For now, it's in the spare bedroom of the dollhouse. We all have a room like
this, filled with mismatched furniture, somewhat neglected. Maybe this
will be the next room I tackle.


Giveaway update: No one has guessed what I bought at the Nitro Antique shop. I really do have a cool prize for whoever guesses first! Check it out:

It's a treasure chest pendant!

It really opens and closes. Keep your treasures inside and wear them
everywhere, or take the chain off and use it for your dollhouse.

If no one guesses correctly, I'm keeping it! I'm sure my dolls can use a new box for their goodies. Please guess!!! Post your guesses in the comments or on my Facebook page.


2 comments:

  1. very cute chest pendent this is my first visit I liked all your posts
    http://www.anandhirajansartsncrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I appreciate the kind words.

      Delete