Thursday, June 14, 2012

Mad Scientist Props

I'm already planning for my son's Mad Scientist birthday party  in August. I got this jar for $1.50 at Goodwill and the gross growing body parts for $1 each at the Dollar tree. Every mad scientist needs a brain in a jar, right?

I put a hand and a foot in this jar. They are supposed to grow up to six
times their original size. I may ad a drop or two of yellow and red food
coloring to make a cloudy/formaldehyde-like solution.

I'll post another pic when these have grown. I picked up a few extra body parts to put in the mad scientist gift bags for the kids. Any ideas on how to decorate for a Mad Scientist party are welcome. Also, anyone know where I can find a lab coat to fit a 5-year-old?

5 comments:

  1. I'm actually really curious to see how big the brain gets and what it looks like. We got one of these a long time back and haven't took it out of the package, yet. I think we'll save it for Halloween or something. I look forward to seeing it all grown up. :)

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After approx. 24 hours, the hand and foot are about twice their original size. Here's hoping they keep growing! The package said 6 times, and my kid has other grow toys that did get huge. I don't remember how long it took, though...

      Delete
  2. As for lab stuff, I'd try making a coat out of an old bed sheet, maybe. Can't be too complicated, right? The collar would be the toughest part. Maybe, just find a white man's dress shirt and cut/hem the sleeves short. ???

    I know the last couple years at Halloween there have been test tube racks with colored syrup and sugar in them at Target. We pick stuff like that up off the clearances after the holiday every year. But, try your local florist. We have a faire here that uses plastic test tubes on the rose stems to hold water. I know this because I use them to hold my chalk darts for my steampunk gun. :)

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some test tube candy at the toy store, but it's $3 a tube... I found some other candy that is in what is basically a clear, plastic pixie stick tube. I think I'll use that instead. Other plans include making "ooblek" and "gluep" --- gonna measure out the quantities and give the kids "mad science kits" to use at the party. Possibly Mentos and Diet Coke demo. I have been considering the white shirt to lab coat transformation too... I think it would be easier to do an old-fashioned labcoat (a la Dr. Horrible of Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog. You-tube it if you don't know it ;) just because it doesn't have the collar. I'm afraid of the collar/lapel.

      Delete
  3. Hi! Me again! LOL! Clear vinyl tubing can be found at hardware stores pretty cheap. Like $2 for 10 ft or something. That's my last thought. I think....Seriously, I could go on and on. :D

    Have fun with it!

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete