Monday, September 3, 2012

Bridal Shower Cake... Sort Of.


Not the prettiest cake I've ever made... But it'll do.

I think the theory was sound, it was just a problem with execution. I wasn't really in a baking mood, but I DID want to try my hand at a bridal shower cake for my soon-to-be cousin-in-law, Erica. Also, I did my shopping at the Dollar Tree. 

The Dollar Tree has these delicious pound cakes, and I figured they would make a delicious decorated cake. I bought six, planning to stack them up and construct a larger cake from the smaller cake bricks. In hindsight, I should have cut them down a little more so they would have been less rounded and more squared. They would have stacked nicer, methinks. The cake was pretty tall, so it wouldn't have hurt anything if I had done that. I'll remember that next time ;)

My main downfall with the decorating was that I didn't purchase enough icing, and also I had no large zip-lock bags to pipe the icing on with. The wedding colors were purple and yellow, so I mixed up some purple food coloring  and iced the cake. It was pretty thin in spots, so I tried to cover up the holes with some yellow sugar paper. It was a pretty sad-looking cake, and I didn't have any white icing left to do the decorating I had planned. I put the cake in the fridge, hoping I'd be able to fix it the next day.

Well, as fate would have it, I got off work early on party day, in time to stop at the Dollar Tree for another tub of icing and a box of large zip bags. I stuck the Barbie head into the cake, piped on the white edging and the dress, and had enough icing left over to mix in the purple and patch the thin spots. This left the cake a little lumpy-looking, but otherwise finished. It was greeted with oohs and ahhs, so I think I did alright, but it was definitely a learning experience.

Will I try this method of cake-building again? Yeah, I think so. Will I do it differently? Definitely. I'll cut the cakes down a bit more (as mentioned above), buy EXTRA icing, make sure I've got all the materials I need for decorating BEFORE I begin (zip bags), and probably mix the icing with cream cheese or something... Yeah, the cake tasted pretty good, but the icing was a little sugary. 

Happy crafting, folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment