Saturday, October 27, 2012

It's Pink!

Before you say anything, I know. These pictures suck - they are grainy, the lighting is all weird, and well... maybe composition could use some work as well. The camera on my phone works well--in the bright sunlight, outdoors--but for some reason when I upload pics using the Blogger app, they are always grainy and yucky. <end of disclaimer>

Anyhow, yesterday was a landmark day. I FINALLY painted the girls's bedroom. I have only had the paint can waiting around in my utility room for about a year and a half... I have been waiting until I could have someone  watch the girls or help me paint or whatever, but that plan never came together. It was never the right moment.

Well, in the last year and a half, my two-year-olds have become three-year-olds and no longer require constant supervision. So I put on a Disney movie and settled the kids in to watch while I gathered up painting supplies and got to work all by me onesie.

From plain white to bubble gum pink. Not generally MY color, but the
girls like it.

I did it (almost) all by myself. I did have a little help getting the top edge below the molding. If you've ever met me, you know why. (I'm 4'9" tall. Incidentally, I had no trouble getting the bottom edge by the floorboards by myself...)

Goes well with their pink and white polka dot pillows.
I had planned to do their room in a "fairy tale forest" theme, but have really only gotten about halfway there. I bought a bunch of butterflies and bugs from the garden section in the dollar store and hung them around the room, like on the mirror below. Also, the girls fabulous great aunt made them each an embroidered and quilted wall hanging with pictures of them and all kinds of glitter for their 2nd birthday, and each square has a scene from a fairy tale. So, to recap: bugs for the "forest" part, wall hangings for the "fairy tale" part. As of yet no trees or toadstools or magic.

I left the two wood panel walls brown. I think maybe I'll move the wall hangings
over to the brown walls above their beds, because they kinda blend into the
walls now.

See what I mean?
Even though it's still not finished, the girls are pretty excited and I think they are satisfied. The most important part is that they like their room and are comfortable in there (even if there are still some suspect shadows in there when it comes close to bedtime... every fairy tale has to have a bad guy, right?).

"Once upon a time there was a Princess... make that two."

Oh, yeah. I made new curtains too. You can't really tell
in this picture, but they are really cute. The top fabric is
pink with brown flowers, birds, and keys. The middle band
is brown and the bottom band is pink with white polka
dots (the same fabric the pillow cases were made from.)

No comments:

Post a Comment