Friday, December 21, 2012

Love and the Placebo Effect: I'm Done Teasing.

If you have been a long-time reader of the blog, or if you've gotten bored waiting for a new post and looked back through the blog archives, you are probably aware that I recently discovered that I love to write. I decided to write a romance novel and I ended up with a full manuscript in about 6 weeks. That was the first draft. Since then, I went back through I don't know how many times "editing." It was excruciating. I sent it off to a few friends for feedback and got a positive response, so I decided to try to get this sucker published.

I initially followed the traditional route: write a query letter and synopsis, send off to multiple agents, pray. Then, as life goes, things changed. I joined the ranks of the employed and my writing and querying time melted away. In the year an a half since I've had a regular 40-hour-a-week grown-up job, I think I've written one and a half chapters. That's a far cry from full draft manuscript in 6 weeks. I stopped querying. I began to accept the fact that it would likely be years before I could make any strides toward my new dream of becoming a writer.

Because of work, I traded in romance writing for grant writing, querying for ad sales, daydreaming for project planning. I'm sure I'm making more money right now than a year and a half of writing would have earned, but I'm not completely convinced it is worth it.

Something happened recently, however. I was asked to help a friend of our organization with a specific project. A book project. I felt a little spark which had been missing in my life, a little hope. Part of this project involved doing some research on self-publishing, something I had heard of but had discounted. For the purposes of my work project, however, self-publishing was the logical choice. And as I researched the topic, an idea started to form.

I'm sure you can guess what happened next. It seemed to me that before I advise someone else on the logistics of getting his book online, I should try it for myself. After all, I DID have a manuscript lying around gathering dust...

"Who is this Chloe Craft person?" you
ask... Well, that's a nom de plume for
The Cardboard Crafter... Okay, Cardboard
Crafter isn't my real name either, but hey,
there are sex scenes and curse words in that
book! I had to change my name in case
my mom reads it someday... 

And, as they say, the rest is history. Love and the Placebo Effect is now available on amazon.com for Kindle. I've priced it at $2.99, which I think is fair -- but who am I to judge? You'll have to make that call after you read the book **winks**.

Not sure you want to invest almost three dollars of your hard-earned cash on someone's first novel? I don't blame you. If it helps you decide whether to commit such a large sum of money for a cause with dubious returns, I posted a few teasers to the blog back when I was working on the book and reading them will give you a feel for the writing style. No, I won't make you search for them in the archives. I know you are a busy person and don't have time for all that. The links are below; if you like what you read, you can get the whole thing on Amazon!

Love and the Placebo Effect, Teaser #1

Love and the Placebo Effect, Teaser #2

Love and the Placebo Effect, Teaser #3

Love and the Placebo Effect, Teaser #4

Love and the Placebo Effect, Teaser #5

If you like the book, please recommend it to other folks who might enjoy. Also, "like" my new Chloe Craft Facebook page and share it with your friends!

**shameless self-promotion concluded**

No comments:

Post a Comment