Sunday, December 2, 2012

OOAK - Take One.

I've been working on a few projects recently, but I haven't taken the time to take pictures or share. You may have guessed at the direction of some of these projects if you have been following my Facebook page (although the links I shared on my page are missing, so I guess I should just tell you...) I've been working on Barbie doll makeovers (also known as 'repaints' or OOAK [one of a kind] dolls).

This isn't actually a new thing for me. My sisters can tell you, I was known to give a Barbie doll a haircut or dye job from time to time in my youth. I loved sewing new clothes or finding accessories for them. So it's no surprise that when I saw dolls that looked like this on eBay, I had got inspired:

Isn't this doll gorgeous? Click HERE to see how to make
your own. HERE's another tutorial that I thought was
pretty good.

I have a few 50 cent Barbies that I picked up at my local Goodwill store to play with, including a purple fairy doll (sans wings) who had some hideous purple lipstick on her purple face. So I took some nail polish and washed it off, along with the rest of the paint on her face. After locating my tiniest paint brushes, I tried my hand at a "repaint."

She looks kind of like my 10-year-old niece did her make-up, but at least
her lips look better.

I brightened up her face with some pink paint, re-did her eyes and lips. My first attempt doesn't compare to a practiced hand, but I think it's promising enough to warrant further practice. I didn't really take my time and mix the correct paint colors, I just wanted to do a run-through to learn the process. I'll probably erase this with some nail polish remover in a few days and try again, hopefully with a little better outcome.

I think I did a little better than Cecilia JimĂ©nez, at least.

I also had a doll who had very little hair - and an idea to fix it. Remember Raggedy Ann? Well, this is Raggedy Barbie. I unraveled some red yarn, sewed it into shape, and glued it down to her head. I repainted her eyebrows to match and sewed a cap and dress for her. I'm not completely satisfied with the dress, but that's something that can always be fixed.

She looks like she got her dress at a prison sale or made
it while she was a member of a cult, but I'm pretty pleased
with the hair.

I spent a few hours with the hot glue gun today working on a craft project that was a little less fun. My sweet son is going to be a red candy cane in his school play this week. I have been procrastinating about making his costume, because I couldn't really come up with a good way to make it... so my husband says HE will make the costume. Well, it turns out that means he was going to put together a wire frame and turn the project back over to me to finish. It's not so easy to make a flat piece of poster board into a three-dimensional candy cane, even if you do have a coat-hanger frame to bend it around. And the final product does NOT look like hours worth of work, but I'm not going to redo it after all that work, so I've resigned myself to being satisfied with this one.

Maybe there is some charm to an obviously homemade costume?

I have another super cool project in the works, but I want to get a little further along with it before I post pictures. I'll give you some clues: this one is NOT made out of cardboard, although I typically prefer it as my building material. It's 1/12 scale and decorated for the holidays :) I'm sure you can guess. 

No comments:

Post a Comment