Sunday, May 11, 2014

Mario Kart Cake

I went to our local party store to find Mario cake decorations and pretty much struck out. They had one Mario candle, and that was it. A store that has items for just about every possible Disney character, comic hero, occasion, etc. SHOULD have Mario stuff, or so one would think. One was mistaken, obviously.

So I bought the single Mario candle and I bought a little set of race car candles. 5 candles in all - the girls are turning 5, so we're good there. It's not perfect, but with these candles I figured we could approximate a Mario Kart cake.

I did a quick Google search for Mario Kart tracks and jumped right in. I didn't have a plan, per se, but I had a pretty good idea of what I would do. I saw a couple cakes online with figure 8 tracks, so I got a few circle shaped cake pans and got to baking.

These are all different size pans, so they didn't all come out of the oven at
the same time. The cupcakes were an afterthought - I had extra batter.
After all my cakes cooled, I removed them from the pans and took a large knife to cut the tops off, evening them out. I glued them down to a cookie sheet with icing, bottom side up.


I cut a little bit off one circle so I could wedge them together really well.
My children, who don't typically like cake, enjoyed eating all the scraps I cut off when fitting all the little cakes together. This bodes well for tomorrow's festivities.

Decorating supplies: lots of icing, brown sugar, coconut caramel drops,
food coloring, edible Easter grass, and candles.
I bought three tubs of icing because it always seems like I run just a little low and end up with thin spots on the cake. I'm happy to report that I only used 2/3 of the icing I purchased for this project.

I was going for a really saturated green color, and ended up using all the
green food coloring. It didn't occur to me until after I had started spreading
icing on the cake that I could have added blue and yellow color to make it
a little more green. Oh, well. 


I just used a regular butter knife to spread the icing on.

I made a "dirt" track out of brown sugar, rocks from the caramel coconut drops,
and some foliage from the edible Easter grass.

I can't wait to put the candles on the cake and see what the final product looks like! I'll post pics tomorrow :)

No comments:

Post a Comment