Thursday, May 15, 2014

Mario Party!

So we had a birthday party the other day. I know, you are shocked by this news... I'm sorry to spring this on you without any warning. ;) As you know, if you've glanced over any of my previous 5 or 6 posts, the theme of the party was Princess Peach and Princess Daisy (read: Mario). My two baby girls turned 5 on Sunday, which coincidentally happened to also be Mother's Day. It seemed fitting to me to celebrate the birth of my children on Mother's Day, and it turned out to be a really great day.

I try to make birthdays special for my kids, but I also don't have a giant budget for these things, so I do a lot of the decor and such myself. I wasn't able to find a lot of appropriately themed items in our local party store, but there are all kinds of wonderful resources online. Lots of moms have pulled off the Mario theme much better than I have, but I think that we did enough to make it fun.

The Birthday Girls - Princess Daisy and Princess Peach

One thing that always makes a party more festive is having the right clothes for the theme. In this case, it meant new princess dresses for my girls. They absolutely loved their dresses, and this was pretty much the main present from Mama. (Want to make your own? I found a great tutorial online. Click HERE for more info.)

The next thing we needed were some decorations. I didn't go all out on this, but I did make a pretty festive table, if I do say so myself.

The only Mario themed item I purchased was the candle on the cake.

I found green and red items with white polka dots, which I felt referenced the 1-up mushrooms pretty nicely without being too literal. Green cups were reminiscent of the green pipes in the game. I intended to cut out some white Mario clouds and tape them on the blue table cloth, but didn't get that done. (Bad Mama.) Our question mark blocks and Yoshi's egg pinata really made an impact. After I took pictures, I remembered that I had made some star power-up balloons, and I hung them up around the table as well. And, of course, there's The Cake:

Not only did it look pretty cool, it tasted pretty good as well. 

My sister brought some Mario mushroom cupcakes. She intended to use
white chocolate candy melts for the white spots, but made these last minute
and couldn't find them, so she substituted mints. My weird kids, who don't
really like cake, love picking the mints off and eating them. 

We decided that pizza would be on the menu, after all Mario and Luigi are from Brooklyn, and I'm sure they love a good slice. I didn't take pictures of the pizza - which is probably a good thing because just looking at it would make you hungry. My husband has discovered that he rather enjoys cooking, and he made 4 varieties of pizza (from scratch): pepperoni (of course), buffalo chicken/bleu cheese, barbecue chicken, and spinach and tomato/alfredo. Delicious! There wasn't a scrap of pizza left after the party, although there was plenty of cake... Makes me think my family prefers my husband's cooking over my own... it might have something to do with my penchant for making casseroles and being "infinitely creative in the kitchen," lol. 

While we finished up in the kitchen, the kids entertained themselves with a game of Memory - matching up characters, power-ups, and items from the Mario games. 

I found a bunch of these images online and put together
a Microsoft Publisher document with 18 different cards.
I had them printed at Office Max when the Mario Cubes
were printed. 

This was a more effective way of keeping the kids entertained than I thought it would be. After everyone ate, we cracked open the pinata and the kids filled up on candy. 

The two halves of the egg made wonderful hats afterward.

Mama didn't get around to making my son the Luigi costume he wanted (Bad Mama), so
he decided that he was Luigi On Vacation. Because Luigi has other clothes, Mom, duh.
There were mustaches in each Mario cube. These were fun, although somewhat frustrating
because we had some mustache malfunctions - the paper backing would not come off
properly, so some of the kids had to tape their mustaches on.

And, of course there were presents...

Dad picked out these awesome Mario Karts for each Princess. Cousin Lucy
crocheted them the Minion hats. (Message her on FB if you wish to buy one.)

And the best thing... all was quiet in the aftermath. The girls loved every gift they received and spent several hours playing quietly with each other.

They have carried their La La Loopsy purses around everywhere since
the party.

Thanks to all who attended! We had a fun time and the girls felt special, which is as it should be. To anyone reading, feel free to take and adapt any of these ideas for your own Mario party :) And, as always, I'd love for you to share what you do on my Facebook Page.

No comments:

Post a Comment