Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Tiny Cooking Videos - A Meditation

So I've recently become obsessed with these tiny cooking videos on YouTube. As you know, I have a thing for miniatures. I have always been fascinated with the idea of functional miniatures - ever since reading such things as Beatrix Potter, "The Indian In the Cupboard," "Thumbelina," etc. It's a thing I am definitely into. So when I discovered that there are people out there cooking real food using dollhouse miniature pots and pans and tiny ovens I became enamored with the idea. Watching these videos is so calming and peaceful, it was almost a meditation. I watched every miniature cooking video I could find on YouTube - and was so disappointed to learn that there is a finite amount of them.

So then, of course, I spent some time on eBay. First I tried to find a little oven that I could place a candle in, like in many of the tiny cooking videos already on YouTube. There were a lot of tiny iron stoves on eBay. But not very many that I was sure I could cook with. And I really didn't want to end up spending $20-$40 on a non-functional item when functionality is the whole point. I already have several different kitchens worth of non-functional dollhouse furniture. I wanted something I could actually cook tiny food with. And then I discovered the Little Chef oven.

There are several variations on the Little Chef, including the Wolverine brand and the Susie Homemaker Brand, but basically it's a tin oven with a built-in FUNCTIONAL hot plate. Made for children. In the 1950's. This, of course, was another eBay purchase. While I was trying to decide if it was really okay for me to spend this much money on myself, my sweet husband found one that was still functional and in really good shape and bought it for me, only telling me afterward that it was on its way. Not knowing so much about scale, he also bought me some 1/12 size metal pots and pans and cooking utensils... the Little Chef oven is about 14" wide. So, not quite to scale, but love his heart, he tried.

I didn't tell him "I told you so;" I just sent him this picture. #truelove

So, since my Little Chef arrived, we have spent the last week scouring dollar stores, Goodwill, and every else we've been looking for other items for our kitchen. It's kind of an odd scale - a bit larger than Barbie/Joe (1/6), a bit smaller than American Girl (1/4). We've had to improvise, and compromise a bit.

Pots made from potted meat and Vienna sausage tins, tiny tupperware from various dollar
stores, little shelf and mugs were a Goodwill find.

And then... I looked through my stash of doll items and had a few lucky finds. Also, I came across a perfectly functional, if a tad large, frying pan in the kids' room. And I've been dying to try it out for more than just boiling water or melting American cheese - but my refrigerator was bare after spending most of the summer away from home. But today - TODAY! We went to the grocery store and bought some groceries! I still would not call our mini kitchen well-stocked, but... I daresay it's FUNCTIONAL, in a bare-bones/bachelor pad kinda way.

We still haven't worked out any aspects of our videographer game yet, really, but we did manage to cobble together our first video! My seven-year-old daughter was the camera man. I was the chef. Both girls were our official taste testers, and enthusiastically enjoyed the cuisine as it was finished.

Some things I learned: 
--Need to clear phone memory before we start videotaping.
--Need more counter space.
--Need tiny pot-holder.
--Need to have cameraman on my right, as I am left-handed and block the food.
--Should probably remove rings when cooking.
--Best to hold the camera the other direction (so the video is wide and not tall). 

I hope you enjoy our initial attempt at our own tiny cooking video! And hopefully, there will be more to come!



2 comments:

  1. You now have my hubby and I addicted to mini cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I fell in love with it when I saw a few videos on YouTube. I am just itching to get into my small kitchen again :)

      Delete